I was recently divorced. How do I change the name on my passport back to my maiden name?
If your name has been legally changed due to divorce, then you should apply for a passport name change before you travel.
Based on when your passport was issued, you need to apply for a passport renewal using form DS-82, or apply in person using form DS-11, and include evidence of the name change such as the official divorce decree.
|You are requesting the change less than one year after your passport was issued||
Please submit the following:
|You are requesting the change more than one year after your passport was issued||You may be eligible to renew your passport by mail using Form DS-82. If you are eligible to use Form DS-82*, please submit the following:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order)