What document do I need to provide to change the name in my passport?
The process to change your name on your passport varies depending on your situation. Please see the chart below to find the process that applies to you.
|You are requesting the change less than one year after your passport was issued||
Submit the following:
|You are requesting the change more than one year after your passport was issued||You may be eligible to renew your passport by mail using Form DS-82. If you are eligible to use Form DS-82*, please submit the following:
If you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail using Form DS-82, you should apply in-person. Please submit the following:
Please note: You do not need to submit proof of the name change if your name has changed due to marriage and you present an ID issued in your new name. You must include the details of the marriage in the appropriate section on Form DS-11.
|You are already using a different name but cannot document the change with a court order, divorce decree, or marriage certificate||
Submit the following in person at an acceptance facility (post-office):
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order)