How do I apply for a First-Time Passport if I already have a passport card?


If you already have a US Passport Card, you may apply for a US Passport Book utilizing form DS-82 PROVIDED you meet the following qualifications:

  • You have your US Passport Card in your possession to submit with your application
  • It is undamaged, other than normal wear and tear
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name or you can document your name change

Should you answer "No" to any of these conditions, you must apply in person utilizing form DS-11.

How to Obtain A US Passport Book with the above conditions being met:

Submit your Most Recent U.S. Passport-

You must submit your most recent passport card with your application.
 Please note:

  • Your U.S. passport card must meet all of the requirements listed at the top of this page.  
  • Your old passport  card will be returned to you, but generally it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport book.

Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport card, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.

Tips for renewing from Canada:

  • If your Canadian divorce decree does not specify a spouse is returning to their maiden name, you must provide proof of your birth or maiden name (such as an original or certified copy of your birth certificate).

 Provide a Photo

Attach one photograph to the application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

Please note:

  • Staple the photo to the application. Please use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges as possible.
  • Do not bend the photo.
  • You cannot wear eyeglasses in your passport photo (unless you have a signed note from your doctor that you can include with your application). 


Please refer to to our website for fees and instruction. Please note our instructions and fees  for passport renewal will be accessed. Substitute your current passport card in lieu of the requirement for the previous passport book. Kindly click here.



How did we do?

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)