I was married outside the U.S. Can I use my marriage certificate from abroad as proof of my name change?

In short, yes.

The following info was partially extracted or modified from www.easynamechange.com


If you were married overseas you should still be able to change names when returning home. Foreign marriage certificates issued by a government authority and written in English are accepted by the Social Security Administration and US Passport Office. If you want to change the name on your current US passport due to marriage, you must submit the original certificate. In some instances, it may require a translation by an approved translator to be submitted with the original.

Once you have your Social Security records updated, you may also apply for your driver’s license to be changed into your new name.

If your marriage certificate is in a language other than English you may be required to have a certified translation of your marriage certificate by an approved translator. Our recommendation:


While it is unusual for the Social Security Administration or US Passport office to refuse your foreign issued marriage certificate, there are some rare instances where a marriage that is considered legal in one country is simply not recognized in the USA. The only way to know for sure is to lodge your name change request with Social Security. If it is refused you will be provided with a reason. If the SSA is unable to accept your foreign marriage certificate you can either undertake a legally recognized marriage ceremony in the USA or you may apply for a legal name change with your county court. You may find it easier to undertake a US marriage ceremony, as a court ordered legal name change typically costs around $450 or more and can take 3 to 4 months to be implemented.

How did we do?

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)