I lost my passport back in 1980. Do I need to renew or apply for a new one?


You are eligible to renew your passport only under the following conditions:

 Your current passport book or card must be: 

  • Submitted with your DS-82 application
  • Undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Issued within the last 15 years
  • Issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

Since your passport had expired for more than 15 years, and you have lost the passport:

* You must Apply in Person at a passport acceptance facility (post office, county clerk, library) to obtain a new passport book/passport card.

* You must complete the following forms:

----- DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

For the DS-11 form, do not sign your name. You must wait to take the oath and sign the form in front of a passport acceptance agent at a designated passport acceptance facility or in front of a U.S. Department of State employee at a passport agency or center.

----- DS-64:  Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport


How did we do?

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)

Powered by HelpDocs (opens in a new tab)