My child is now 16 and needs to renew their passport. What is the process?


PLEASE NOTE: Until further notice, Peninsula Visa is not able to submit any duly executed Passport Application DS-11 due to COVID19 restrictions that still remain in place. You must apply directly via a designated local US Passport Acceptance Facility. Please click here for a nationwide listing.

Currently, standard processing time is up 12 weeks.

Expedited service is available to reduce that time to 4-6 weeks.

As of age 16, a child will qualify for a full term 10 year (adult) passport. However, they must appear in person at a local Passport Acceptance Facility as if they were a first time applicant utilizing form DS-11, since the previous passport was issued under age 16 and was valid for only 5 years.

US Passport Application Form DS-11

  • The above link will select the correct form for you based on the information you input. It may generate a different form from what you expect.
  • If applying on Form DS-11, do not sign it until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f)
    • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
    • For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents.
  • You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the '52 page' box at the top of the application.

Proof of US Citizenship:

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Please note you cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document. 

For minors, ages 16 and 17, proof of parental awareness in the form of one of the following:

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A parent or legal guardian appearing with the applicant in person when he/she applies for  a passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask the parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.
  • A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian. The statement should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.

If the applicant has their own current identification document (ID), they may apply for a passport. They must show at least one parent or guardian knows that they are applying for a passport. The passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

Present Valid ID:

You (or your parent/guardian) must present one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent. 

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if the photo is still looks like you)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.


  • Photocopy must be on white, 8.5 x 11" standard paper.
  • Photocopy cannot be double-sided.
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).

PRESENT ONE  RECENT PHOTO (taken within the last 3 months)

  • You must provide one photo with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements.

    Please note: Some passport acceptance facilities provide photo services for an additional fee.



    Adult Applicants (age 16 and older):

    Product Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
    Passport Book DS-11 $110 $35
    Passport Card DS-11 $30 $35
    Passport Book & Card DS-11 $140 $35

    Please note: The application fee and the execution fee are paid separately.

    For information on forms of payment and a full list of fees and services, please see Passport Fees.




0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.