You can check/track your application status online or by phone. You will need the following information:
- Last Name
- Include suffixes (ex. Jones III, Patton Jr, etc.)
- Include hyphens as appropriate (ex. Jackson-Smith)
- Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Last Four Digits of Social Security Number
- Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status.
- Status updates are available 7-10 business days after you apply or renew.
- Receive automatic email updates on the status of your application by entering your email address after locating your pending application in the Online Passport Status System.
Check By Phone
- Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) to speak to a Customer Service Representative on Mondays-Fridays from 8:00am to 10:00pm Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays).
What Your Application Status Means
|Not Found||If you are checking your status less than 10 days after you applied, your application is still in transit to one of our agencies or centers. If it has been more than 10 days, Not Found generally means we are experiencing a temporary technical issue with our Online Passport Status System.|
|In Process||Your application is being reviewed at one of our agencies or centers. The length of time your application remains In Process depends on the service you selected and our current processing times.|
|Approved||We have finished reviewing your application and will begin printing your completed passport.|
|Mailed||We are sending your passport to the address you provided on your application. Check our Online Passport Status System for the tracking number. We will send your supporting documents such as birth certificates and previous passports in a separate mailing.|